Wednesday, September 28, 2005

E-Mail Senator Murray - U.S. Senator Patty Murray - Washington State

My letter to Senator Murray:

Senator Murray,

It seems almost like old times to address Senator Murray, as the first Senator Murray I knew of was Senator James Murray from Montana and in 1952, as a 10 year old, I somehow got sucked into passing out handbills accusing him of being a "Red". Fortunately I grew up understanding the foolishness of that and becoming a strong Democrat and liberal. But now, as I approach retirement age, I see that we are again in a period like that Red-bating age, and I dispair that our democracy is on the verge of being lost.

As you may have figured out by now, this is a letter asking you to VOTE NO on John Roberts for the Supreme Court. As is obvious from the history that we do know of him, Roberts is much more conservative than we need on the SCOTUS at this time. And there are serious questions about the propriety of his ruling on issues involving the civil rights of prisoners at the time he was being considered for the Court by the Bush administration.

You have probably heard all the arguments so I won't belabor the point. But my opinion is that unless the Democrats stand firm and deliver a strong NO vote on Roberts, we will see continued submissions of conservatives by the Bush gang. Given their record of ignoring anything the Democrats do, there is nothing to be gained by cooperating with them.

Please Vote NO on Roberts.

No comments: